Tentative Plan to Reopen Rensselaer Park Elementary & RPES Reopening Survey
October 27, 2020
Below you can find a memo from Lansingburgh Superintendent, Dr. Abitabile, explaining the tentative plan to reopen Rensselaer Park Elementary if the district's New York State Aid for November is fully restored.
Rensselaer Park families will receive the RPES Reopening Survey via email asking if their student(s) will be returning for in-person learning or opting for remote learning, as well as other important questions. You can also take the RPES Reopening Survey by clicking here.
We will have more information for you in the coming weeks and will share that once it is finalized. In the meantime, if you have questions about the reopening of Lansingburgh Schools, you can continue emailing them to CovidInfo@lansingburgh.org
Dr. Abitabile's memo is available below and as a PDF here on letterhead here. This memo was also emailed to all Lansingburgh families on October 27.
October 27, 2020
At last night’s Board of Education Meeting, the district announced that it has begun planning to reopen Rensselaer Park Elementary School. Families at Rensselaer Park should be receiving a survey soon asking if their children will be returning to school for in-person or remote learning, transportation needs, etc.
We are in hopes that our November state aid will be fully restored and, if so, should be able to return students to the building at some point before Holiday Break in December. We will know more in the coming weeks about the exact date of reopening and will share more information when that date is confirmed.
Rather than wait until mid-November for this decision by NYS, the district felt it would be best to remain optimistic and start preparing now by adding safety equipment and thoroughly cleaning the building in the next couple of weeks. If for some reason our state aid is withheld in November, as previously announced in August, it will most likely delay the opening of Rensselaer Park to January.
Once we are able to open this building, the district’s plan is to continue working to reopen Knickerbacker Middle School next, followed by Lansingburgh High School. If for some reason the district receives further funding in the form of a federal stimulus package, that will only accelerate the process of fully reopening all of our buildings.
I also wanted to take this opportunity to remind our families to continue to adhere to all of the safety guidelines recommended by the CDC. As we have seen recently, there have been some very sudden spikes in the positivity rates for COVID-19 testing and we are hoping to keep this outbreak mitigated as much as possible.
Dr. Antonio W. Abitabile, Ed. D.